I’ve been strictly vegan since January 1, 2013. With the help of Well Vegan*, I’ve found some great recipes to help me stick to this change. Last week I tried their Snobby Joes recipe thinking it would be a good compromise meal to make for my non-vegan husband. It went over pretty well with him, and I thought it was delicious!
- 1 cup uncooked green lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 1 green pepper, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. yellow mustard
- 4 to 6 kaiser rolls or sesame buns
- Put the lentils in a small sauce pot and pour in 4 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, until lentils are soft. Drain and set aside.
- About 10 minutes before the lentils are done boiling, preheat a medium soup pot over medium heat. Saute the onion and pepper in the oil for about 7 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and saute a minute more. Add the cooked lentils, the chili powder, oregano and salt and mix. Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the maple syrup and mustard and heat through.Turn the heat off and let sit for about 10 minutes, so that the flavors can meld, or go ahead and eat immediately if you can’t wait.
*This is not a sponsored post. Just sharing a great vegan resource I’ve found to be helpful!