Over the past year or so, I’ve been getting pretty serious about my health. Part of this shift includes listening to several wellness and nutrition podcasts. For months, each one has mentioned turmeric at one point or another, but I’d been hesitant to give it a try.
Last week, I was listening to this episode of That’s So Retrograde. They were talking to an Ayurveda expert, and at one point the benefits of Golden Milk were discussed. It piqued my interest enough to do a little more digging online. Through reading several articles, I learned that turmeric has been used for over 4,000 years due to it’s anti-inflammatory properties. It’s great for arthritis, skin health, digestion, immune system, and some people even say cancer. Some studies have concluded that it could be as effective as 14 different prescription drugs.
I’ve been waking up for months with aches and pains, specifically in my back and hips, due to my scoliosis. I just assumed it was the way I’d start every day of the rest of my life. But after reading about how turmeric could help, I decided it couldn’t hurt to give it a try.
So I came across an article that shared recipes for making Golden Paste, which is used to make Golden Milk. I whipped up some Golden Paste on the stove the next morning, and that night I was drinking my first mug of warm Golden Milk. And I was surprised. It was much more yummy than I had imagined it would be!
I never thought I’d feel the benefits LITERALLY overnight. I woke up the next morning with no aches and pains at all. Even in my back and hips, that basically always hurt. I’m sold. I’ll be drinking Golden Milk every night from now on.
If you’re interested in trying it out, here are the recipes I’m using:
½ cup turmeric powder
1 cup spring water (+ ½ extra if necessary)
1.5 tsp ground black pepper
5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil (I use coconut oil)
- Mix 1 cup of water and the turmeric powder in a small sauce pan. Slowly heat it up over low heat. Stir for 6-10 minutes until it turns into a thick paste. You can add the additional ½ cup water if your paste gets too thick.
- Once your paste thickens up, add the black pepper and oil. Continue stirring until all the ingredients are fully mixed in together.
- Let the paste cool. Store in the refrigerator in a jar for up to 1-2 weeks. I used a stout, wide mouthed mason jar to store my paste.
1 teaspoon of organic coconut oil
1/4 teaspoon of turmeric paste
1 cup of unsweetened almond milk or full fat canned coconut milk
1 tbsp Organic, raw honey
1. Mix all the ingredients together over medium heat except the honey.
2. Put the tablespoon of honey in your mug.
3. Do not allow it to boil. Once the milk is just before the boiling point, pull it off the heat.
4. Pour the golden milk into the mug, if you like, sprinkle cinnamon or cocoa powder on top to taste and drink as soon as it’s cool enough.