Want to please your vegan friends at this summer’s BBQ, but you’re low on time and not sure how? Whip up some of this quick & easy vegan shells and ‘cheese’ and they will love you forever. Your non-vegan friends will even rave about it!
Vegan Shells & ‘cheese’
This recipe is from the Minimalist Baker, who is my culinary hero.
Prep time: 30 minutes
- 10 ounces large macaroni shells
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for 6-8 hours or overnight, then drained
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- Boil macaroni according to package instructions.
- In a medium skillet over medium-low heat, sautee onion and garlic in a bit of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, stir and cook until soft and fragrant – about 7 minutes. Set aside.
- Add onions and garlic to a blender with remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth, using the “liquify” setting if you have it to get it really smooth. Otherwise just blend for up to a minute, scraping down sides as necessary, until smooth and creamy. I like to use our Nutribullet for this – makes it so easy!
- Drain the noodles, set aside and cover (with a towel). To the same pot you boiled the noodles in, add the cashew cheese and cook on low stirring frequently until slightly thickened.
- Add the macaroni noodles to the cheese, and stir. Serve immediately.