You’ve made a couple of sides for your vegan friends, but don’t want to leave them out at dessert time. This cake is way easier than it sounds, and is DELICIOUS.
Frosted Blueberry Cake
Makes one 9″ round cake
1 1/2 cups organic white flour
*sub with other flours if desired
3/4 cup sugar, organic
1 Tbsp baking powder
3 Tbsp vegan butter, softened
1/2 tsp almond extract (sub with vanilla if desired)
3 Tbsp rolled oats
2 Tbsp flax seeds + 2/3 cup warm water
1/3 cup almond milk, vanilla
1/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
3 Tbsp orange juice (fresh squeeze room temperature oranges – or warm OJ to about room temp)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup blueberries
1/3 cup vegan butter, softened
2/3 cup virgin coconut oil
3 cups powdered sugar
note: if you only use coconut oil this frosting is STILL super yummy. You could also add in or sub in some vegan cream cheese if you’d like.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Add flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, oats and optional cinnamon to a large mixing bowl. Stir together.
3. In a small dish, combine the water and flax seeds. Stir briskly and let sit for about 2-4 minutes.
4. Add the water/flax mixture, orange juice, applesauce, vegan butter, salt, extract and almond milk. Tip: try to make sure these ingredients are either room temperature or slightly warmed. I used room temperature oranges to fresh squeeze – and room temp applesauce. This will help your batter blend more seamlessly – and the vegan butter will stay smooth.
5. Stir your batter by hand until smooth. Fold in the blueberries.
6. Pour your batter into your cake dish – grease and flour the sides before pouring.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes – or until edges begin to brown a bit. Remove from oven to cool.
8. Start your frosting about 20 minutes before you want to frost your cake. Your cake must be cooled when you frost it or the frosting will melt.
9. Add frosting ingredients to mixing bowl and blend with hand beater mixer until fluffy and smooth. Add in a splash of room temperature almond milk or coconut milk if needed to thin out the blend. Place frosting in fridge for just about five minutes before frosting. Any longer and the frosting will get too firm.
10. Frost cake and add blueberries on top. Serve with softened frosting. Store in fridge – but allow frosting to soften a bit before re-serving from fridge.